Thursday, June 6, 2013

Tree Frogs Rescue

June 2008

For a whole week the rain kept coming down, down down down. Steams were turning into rivers, trees were getting washed away. No one has seen the sun for so long, until finally on the seventh day, the rain stopped. The sun began to pop through the clouds to say hello. Much damage was made to some houses where I live, that were past the point of repair, but as time went by people began to get back to their normal lives.
A few months later, we have a drought. So many streams have dried up and there is no rain for an expected 19 days. As I was walking along my neighborhood, I came across a little puddle about to disappear. Inside the puddle I see little tiny tadpoles. There were only 8 tadpoles in the puddle, the others must have been washed away or dried up with the rest of the puddle. However, I caught all of the tadpoles and put them into a jar until I got home. When I got home, I filled up a tank of water and placed a couple big rocks on the bottom for them to climb onto when there back legs grow in. 
Once their legs started to grow in, I transported them into a 3/4 land and 1/4 water tank that I just had finished building. I threw in crickets every now for them to feed on. One day I accidentally left the lid to the tank off and when my mother walked down stairs, all she saw was the 8 green frogs on the wall. Luckily, I could catch them all and put them all back in the tank. 
As they got bigger I realized that a couple of them were deformed; I suspect from pollution and the oil that was resting on top of the puddle. One was missing a leg, an arm, an eye, another leg, a toe, another toe, etc. All of the frogs were great fun watching them catch a cricket.  
When August came, I released them into the wild so they could hibernate properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment