Thursday, June 6, 2013

Stevie Wonder

July 2012
I have worked at a veterinarian's office for about four years. Of course
many strays come in weekly needing medication, a place to live, and of course love. My goal is to always find someone to adopt these baby animals and take care of them. Most of the time I am successful, but one time out of my four years I was unable to find anyone to adopt a kitten.
A little black cat who weighed no more than a pound, came into the vet's with so many problems, such as a respiratory infection, ear infection, and terrible eyes. His eyes appeared as if he had poison
poured into his eyes. They were red and weepy which made me suspect that it was poison. He was about three weeks old, and must of just been taken away from his mother and was let to wonder about himself.
All of the staff knew that his eye sight was deteriorating quickly, but he was gaining weight slowly but surely. The lady who brought him in just told the vet to put him down, but the vet couldn't take a life away for no apparent reason.
I have asked a numerous amount of people to adopt a helpless kitten and the only response I got from most people was "I don't like black, handicap cats.
They are too much work!" I have never been so appalled from some of the people's reactions. I thought a simply no would suffice.
He has now been a month in the vet's office; July to August. His respiratory infection has cleared up as well as his ear infection. However, his eyes will never improve. I would get him out of his cage and play with him. He would like my face and cuddle. All he wanted was someone to love him. The staff and I named him Stevie Wonder, Stevie for short. We all thought if he was in human form, he would most likely resemble Stevie Wonder the singer.
In two weeks, I was about to go back to college for the year. Still no owner for Stevie. Even though I had three other cats at the time, I took it upon myself to adopt him. I had him neutered and front de-claw. I would never let him outside, knowing that he would be eaten in a heart beat due to his vision, so he became an indoor cat.
I brought him home and introduced him to the other cats. The other cats at the time did not take a fancy to him, but eventually they did. He became very active, climbing the furniture, jumping over chairs, and jumping up to high windowsills. You never would have known that he was going blind. Of course he had his moments
of running into the furniture, but he eventually could dodge around it.
It is now June 2013. Stevie weighs about 10.7 lbs and is still active as ever. He has adapted really well to him being blind; his eyes are fogged over now; and uses his other senses to help him around the house. Our foster kitten Stevie has never been so happy to be loved every day, what every animal needs in their life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment