Thursday, June 6, 2013

Birdy

August 2008
Of course as many people know, that having cats means that they enjoy to hunt. They also enjoy bringing home lots of presents sometimes whole, sometimes half eaten, or sometimes they just leave the innards. I'm am never happy when my cats bring home a present and find it half eaten on my door step, being an animal lover, but its very hard to cross with an animal when it is in their instinct to hunt.
However, one day in August one of my cats Kiki brought home a baby robin. The robin was still alive with no puncture wounds on her. All she had was a broken leg. I walked outside with the robin and tried to find the mother, but their was no robin in sight. So I took the robin inside to feed and keep warm. After a large helping of meal worms and crickets, I examined the baby birds leg. It didn't appear to be broken completely, just fractured. I supported her leg with a twig and wrapped her leg with some gauze and tape, in order for her leg to be stabilized. 
For the night, I fed the little bird again and warmed up a towel in the microwave in order to stay warm. 
The next day she was as hungry as ever. For breakfast meal worms with some calcium powder, in order to build her bone strength up. She was chirping quite a lot and I couldn't figure out what was wrong. I offered her a drink, some more food, supported her leg, and still she continued to chirp. I held her in my hand  and she finally stopped fusing. All she needed was a bit of love. So every day I would get her out and hold her, check her leg, feed her, change her, and syringe her some water. 
A couple weeks pass and her leg is nearly healed. She has become a very big robin now and has become very restless. I bought her a bird cage to perch on, but she never wanted to perch, but just sit still in the palm of my hand. I have never seen anything like it from any bird I have tried to rescue and nurse back to health. 
Finally, on the fourth week, her leg was as good as new. She was ready to fly. I took her to the open window and stuck my hand outside, but she just sat their in my hand. I went outside with her and sat with her for a while. I kissed her on the head, she looked at me, and flew off into the sunset. I regret not banding her, but every year a robin gets rather close to the window where I tried to get her to fly from. I wonder if that was her or one of her many children.  

No comments:

Post a Comment